The below article was in the Crawford County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society Church Records Collection. This posting is part of the records and histories gathered by Crawford County Chapter volunteers that were donated to become part of the Archives of Ohio United Methodism. Learn More about this archive.

First United Methodist Church

On September 20, 1820, the first religious service was held at the cabin of Benjamin Leveridge, which is now between W. Atwood St. and Grove Ave. Methodism was first known in Galion in the year 1818.

In 1841 a wooden church was built located on Harding Way West. It was the first church to be built in Galion. In 1850 Rev. William Thatcher took charge of Galion, Leesville, West Liberty, Iberia, and West Point which comprised one district.

In 1827 our church was made a station in the Methodist Circuit. In 1850 the Mansfield District was formed with five Methodist Circuits and Galion was placed in the district. In 1857 Galion left the Circuit and supported their own minister.

In 1859 a red brick church was built. In 1896 the red brick church was remodeled and an education building was built on the west side of the church. In 1916 the red brick church was razed and the present church was dedicated on July 1, 1917, with Rev. J. W. Dowds, pastor. Bishop William F. Oldham dedicated the church.

In 1967 the church was extensively remodeled, both the exterior and interior, and an entrance on E. Walnut St. was added.

In 1978 a new bell tower was consecrated. On November 8, 1981, the bell tower was dedicated by Rev. Mark L. George, pastor.

Leave a Reply