This post was contributed to the Crawford County Chapter of OGS in 2010 by Kristina Stearley as part of the Florence Siefert Scrapbook.
These are mostly undated, unidentified newspaper clippings involving events in the lives of Crawford County citizens living in or having connections to New Washington, Tiro, Shelby, Sulphur Springs, Chatfield, Bucyrus, Ashland, Mansfield, and other areas. Only minimal spelling or punctuation corrections were made. Unreadable areas are shown by underlines, dots &/or question marks. This collection has been scanned, “optical character recognized” (OCR’d), proofed, then coded for HTML. Since the copies are not of the best quality errors may have been made. Please contact me if you find corrections needing to be made or can verify any missing dates which could be added.
MARY ISTALENA ROBESON AKERS
Mary Istalena, daughter of Rev. John H. and Harriet Robeson, was born in Buncombe county, North Carolina, June 20, 1856, departed this life in Good Samaritan Hospital, Lexington, Kentucky, departed this life June 13,1924 aged 68 years lacking one week. At Cartecay, Ga., in early childhood, she gave her heart to Christ and from that time forth, like Enoch of old, she walked with God. On October 17, 1878, she was united in marriage to the Rev. W. D. Akers, a member of the Holston Conference, M. E. Church, South. A better model as a pastor’s wife could hardly be found. For almost forty-six years she stood by the side of her husband, bearing his burdens, sharing his joys. She made friends as naturally as a flower opens to the sun. At every charge served she radiated good cheer and glorified her Lord. At the present home, Sparta, Ohio, where for six years she ministered, she was particularly loved and esteemed.
She was in truth a daughter of the church. Both grandfathers were honored ministers. Her father and two uncles were also ministers, her husband, a son, and son-in-law also serve in like capacity.
She is survived by her husband, Rev. W. D. Akers, of Sparta, Ohio, four children, Rev. L. R. Akers, of Ashland, Ohio, D. C. Akers, of Atlanta, Ga., Mrs. H. C. Maitland, of Winfield, Kas, and W. D. Akers, Jr. of Columbus, Ga. She often expressed her desire to be laid away in the cemetery at Wilmore, Ky., near her friends of former days, Sister Hughes, Garvey, the Lowry’s, and other sainted spirits who have gone on before. Her wish was granted. She goes to join the ministering host who wait about the great white throne.
“The Lord hath given and Lord hath taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.”
On July 20, a memorial service was held in Sparta, which was largely attended by the former parishioners of the Homer, Chesterville charges, as well as by the friends at Sparta. Rev. W. R. Taylor, pastor at Centerburg, had charge of the services and made appropriate remarks. Revs. Edwin Wheeler and John Kerr, pastors of the Homer and Chesterville charges, and Rev. W. R. Chase, took part in the services. Mrs. Thomas Weir, of Mt. Vernon, representing the W. F. M. S., paid a beautiful tribute to the departed. Rev. R. Anna Swetland of Sparta, speaking for the W C. T. U. gave an excellent address. Other friends and parishioners gave expression to a high appreciation of the lovely character of Mrs. Akers.