Booklet for the 75th Anniversary Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Free Masonry, Valley of Toledo, 1955.
source: Susan Zacharias
Bucyrus Lodge no. 139 was charted by the Grand Lodge at Dayton on October 20, 1846, with 8 members. Crawford Lodge No. 443 was chartered in 1870 with 8 members of Bucyrus Lodge among its Charter Members. These Lodges continued until they were abolished by the Grand Lodge in 1889. Crawford Lodge continued to meet clandestinely until a new Dispensation was issued to organize Trinity Lodge No. 556. Trinity Lodge was chartered October 19, 1892, and was made up of former members of both Bucyrus and Crawford Lodges. On November 27, 1919, the Grand Lodge voted to change the name of Trinity Lodge No. 556 to Bucyrus Lodge No. 139 and the Lodge has continued under this name since that date. Present membership is 562 Masons and William P. Marquardt is the present Master.
Arcana Lodge No. 272 received its Dispensation on August 5, 1855, and was chartered on October 26 of that year with 12 Charter Members. The Lodge was chartered two years before the town of Crestline was incorporated. I. R. Straughan, Chief Engineer of the Pennsylvania Railroad organized the Lodge and was its first Master. Anthony Ims is a Knight of the York Cross of Honor, and 4 other members have received their Fifty Year Medals. The present membership of 297 will celebrate its Centennial in October of this year.
Galion Lodge No. 414 was chartered October 20, 1868, and in 1903 consolidated with Fidelity Lodge No. 327, which lodge received its charter in 1860. From a modest beginning we have increased our membership until we have approximately 560 members. Bro. Walter R. Hessenauer has been honored by having received the 33 degree and our Wor. Bro. Chas. K. Cunningham is at the present time the Grand Marshall of the Grand Lodge of Ohio. Wor. Bro. Lloyd F. Pfeifer is our Master and Bro. C. E. Kunkel is our Secretary.
Royal & Select Masters Bucyrus Council No. 83 was originally chartered by the Grand Council of Ohio on October 25, 1898 as Gwynn Council, but the name was changed to Bucyrus Council by the Grand Council on October 10, 1951. A previous Council also called Bucyrus Council No. 57 was chartered on September 13, 1870, but was abolished in 1889 as a result of the involvement of some of its members in the Royal Masonic Rite, declared clandestine in 1887. Present membership is 345. The present Master is Reynold J. Sentieri.
Royal Arch Masons Galion Chapter No. 142 was chartered on October 11, 1878, and now has about 308 members. High Priest for this year is Don R. Miller. Clyde E. Kunkel, Past High Priest, is its Secretary.
Order of the Eastern Star Bucyrus Chapter No. 3, the third oldest in Ohio was instituted February 3, 1887, with 56 Charter Members. One of its Worthy Patrons, John Blyth, was, in 1897, elected Worthy Grand Patron. Bucyrus Chapter has also been honored with three elective officers in the Grand Chapter. Nine members have received 50 year pins for continuous service and membership. It has also had a steady growth with a present membership of about 450.
Naomi Chapter No. 47 Galion, Ohio On April 18, 1895, Ruth Chapter of Mansfield exemplified the work and Naomi Chapter was in existence, the Charter was granted on October 10, 1895. On April 19, 1897, this Chapter exemplified the work instituting Lydia Chapter of Marion and on May 20th for Cardington Chapter. In 1912, Bro. Edward Robbins was elected Worthy Grand Patron of Ohio. There were 32 Charter members and the present membership is 470, with six 50-year members. We will celebrate our 60th Anniversary in October. Sarah Helen Hubbard is Worthy Matron, Bro. J. Frank Blazer, Worthy Patron and Norma Jenkins, Secretary.
Order of Rainbow for Girls Crestline Assembly No. 66 Crestline, Ohio Crestline Assembly was instituted on November 22, 1947. Among its members the following have been honored by the Grand Assembly: Shirley Horton Neff, Past Grand Flag Bearer; Jeannine Gresmer Bricker, Past Grand Soloist; Dorothy Kunkel Mahaffey, Past Grand Confidential Observer. The present membership is 55 girls.
Bucyrus Assembly No. 76 received its Letters Temporary on December 20, 1948, was instituted on March 19, 1949, and received its Charter on January 6, 1950. Rebecca Brooks was Grand Drill Leader in 1951, Beverly Bonen was Grand Representative to Iowa in 1952, Joyce Turner was Grand Lecturer in 1952, Charlene Dunahay was Grand Representative to Delaware and Suzanne Kocher we Grand Representative to Missouri in 1954. Charlene Dunahay also received the Pot of Gold Award. Its present membership is 101.
Misc. listings: Wilford Hamitlon Picking of Bucyrus received his 33 degree on September 20, 1921. He was listed as deceased.
Henry Earl Cook of Bucyrus received his 33 degree on September 29, 1937.
Individuals listed in the Patron section for Crawford County: Fred Biszantz; Rev. Fay M. Bowman; Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Bush; Ralph H. Claes; Robert W. and Ethel L. Priebe