The below document is in the Crawford County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society Church Records Collection.
The years 1850 and 1851 mark the beginning of the Oceola United Brethren Society. Most of the early church history is obscure, but in the early years a break in the society occurred, the Oceola Methodist Church evolved, but the United Brethren remained stronger. The Society built a church on the present site about 1854.
In 1901 the building was completely remodeled with money coming through subscriptions and pledges. In 1948, a second remodeling was begun to both the interior and exterior. Remodeling was complete in 1954.
In 1951 the church celebrated its centennial with a membership of 147. A total of 36 pastors had served during that hundred years. In 1951 a merger of denominations created the Oceola Evangelical-United Brethren Church. Following another merger in 1968, the church became known as the Oceola United Methodist Church, as part of the Mansfield District, East Ohio Conference.
