The below document is in the Crawford County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society Church Records Collection.
Lemert United Methodist Church
The year 1880 saw the completion of the T & O C railroad across Northwest Ohio, but it was also the beginning of a new village. Col. W. E. Lemert, civil war veteran, builder and promoter of the railroad, plotted a village at the site of his work camp and called it Lemert.
No serious effort to build a church was made until 1895. Through the efforts of people’s donations and festivals the church was built in 1897. The first service in the Lemert Methodist Protestant Church was held October 3, 1897. Except for the installation of a furnace and electric lights, the church building remained virtually as it was built until 1950, when major remodeling was undertaken. The interior was remodeled, classrooms made, and a vestibule added. A rededication service was held June 18, 1950. A celebration for 75 years of service to God and to the community was held in October 1972. The improvements to the church continue, and the exterior was resided in 1975.
The Lemert Church was first part of a four-point circuit consisting of North Union, West Union, Concord, and Lemert. From 1919 until 1939 the circuit consisted of Lemert and Concord. Following the Methodist Union in 1939, Lemert and Concord were made a part of the New Washington Circuit. In 1959 Lemert was removed from the New Washinton Church and placed with Union Church and Plankton Church. In 1974 Lemert and Plankton and changed to be with Oceola Church.
The church is now active, sponsoring a Vacation community Bible School, sewing at a rest home, distributing “Daily Bread” devotional booklets to all in the community, and many members taking part in Christmas and Easter Cantatas.
Down through the years the aims have remained the same; that is, working for the upkeep of the church, the upbuilding of the community, contributing to missions, and in Christian living and serving.
